IOM’s Water, Sanitation and Hygiene or WASH activities focus on the immediate provision of WASH services to affected populations across Somalia whilst also works closely with the government to identify sustainable water solutions to address acute water needs in the country.
IOM also focuses on building resilience of the communities through hygiene promotions, capacity building on water source maintenance and livelihoods support.
- Emergency water supply through water trucking and temporary water tanks
- Distribution of emergency hygiene kits
- Construction and rehabilitation of sustainable water supply systems (e.g. boreholes, water tanks, water kiosks)
- Planting trees and adding solar panels to water sources for sustainability
- Construction of sanitation facilities (e.g. latrines, hand-washing stations)
- Hygiene promotion through local Hygiene Promoters
- Establishment and capacity building of Sanitation and Water Users’ Committees for community ownership and engagement
- Capacity building of local water technicians on maintenance of WASH infrastructure
- Livelihood activities through Technical and Vocational Education and Training